TÜV AUSTRIA Hellas provides the following inspection services of escalators / moving walks:
- Inspection and testing of new escalators / moving walks (before putting into service) according the provisions of the European Standard EN 115-1 “Construction and installation of escalators and moving walks” or / and other international standards and specifications.
- Periodical inspection of existing escalators / moving walks according the provisions of the European Standard EN 115-2 “Rules for the improvement of safety of existing escalators and moving walks” or / and other international standards and specifications.
The periodical inspection of an escalator / moving walk aims, through a thorough examination and testing procedure, to reassure that the machine keeps the safety level of the manufacturer’s specifications and is still operating satisfactory.
The time intervals between the periodical inspections of escalators / moving walks depend on the age, the life cycle, the design parameters, the technology of each machine and the conditions and safety requirements of the place where the machine operates. Generally a period of six to twelve months is considered as appropriate between the periodical inspections of an escalator / moving walk.
The main reasons that imposed the initial and periodical inspections of escalators / moving walks are:
- The high requirements for the safety of the users and of the authorised maintenance personnel. It is noted that escalators and moving walks are machines that operate in public places and serve people regardless age, skills, education or specialization, including children and disabled people.
- The accidents statistics in escalators and moving walks involving users and authorised technicians.
- The fact that almost 50% of the escalators / moving walks that are in use today were installed more than 20 years ago.